16 August 2007

And we bid adieu to...

Tommy Thompson. Maybe in another life and another time Mr. Thompson's candidacy would have gained more traction. I have the highest respect for Mr. Thompson. Jim Gilmore never gained any traction and now with Thompson's withdrawal, that leaves us with:

John McCain
Rudy Giuliani
Mitt Romney
Duncan Hunter (my choice)
Mike Huckabee
Sam Brownback
Tom Tancredo
Ron Paul

John McCain's chances have dwindled to very slim. The media was hyping his candidacy, the Maverick returns... yada yada yada. I was convinced from the very beginning that a McCain redux would gather little steam. What a difference eight years makes Mr. McCain.

Mr. Giuliani has become the candidate conservatives love to hate. His positions on abortion and illegal immigration have come under fire from the base and rightfully so. I have to admit that I am with Dr. Dobson on this one, under no circumstance could I vote for Mr. Giuliani.

Mitt Romney. As much as I hate to admit it, Governor Romney is the likely GOP nominee in 2008. Don't get me wrong, he's the class of the field in looks and polished performances. Has he convinced the conservative base of the GOP that he is truly in our camp? Perhaps, but the conservative jury is still out on Mr. Romney.

Duncan Hunter, in my opinion, is closest to capturing the essence and substance of Reaganism. Fair trade, 100% pro-life, pro-defense, the list goes on. The problem is name recognition and availability of funds. That's why I'm an eLeader for the Hunter campaign to help rectify that.

Look for further opinion snapshots of the remaining GOP candidates tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment