20 December 2007

Does it even matter?

Friends, I received an email from a Democrat friend of mine (I know, I know) who is just as appalled by the front runners in her party as we are with ours. She's personally supporting Bill Richardson (not a bad choice if I were a Democrat) and we've been up and down the philosophical differences between conservatives and liberals. However, I just wanted to let you know that the so called Democrat unity tour(which was what this campaign was supposed to be, right?) = NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND!! Yes, thank you Lee Corso.

I submit that it does matter. It matters who you vote for and why you vote for them. I'm convinced that Duncan Hunter (or Alan Keyes) is the last best hope for the GOP to truly reclaim its conservative roots. There was a time when the national GOP stood on a platform. Does anyone remember the 1992 Convention? Maybe this snippet will ring a bell for you:

My friends, this election is about much more than who gets what. It is about who we are. It is about what we believe. It is about what we stand for as Americans. There is a religious war going on in our country for the soul of America. It is a cultural war, as critical to the kind of nation we will one day be as was the Cold War itself. And in that struggle for the soul of America, Clinton & Clinton are on the other side, and George Bush is on our side. And so, we have to come home, and stand beside him. - Pat Buchanan

Maybe this one will do the trick?

There were the workers at the James River Paper Mill, in the frozen North Country of New Hampshire--hard, tough men, one of whom was silent, until I shook his hand. Then he looked up in my eyes and said, "Save our jobs!" There was the legal secretary at the Manchester airport on Christmas Day who told me she was going to vote for me, then broke down crying, saying, "I've lost my job, I don't have any money; they've going to take away my daughter. What am I going to do?"

Does this sound like anyone in the 2008 campaign? No. I will grant that the issue of our time is the War in Iraq. Still, I believe the dialogue in America would be greatly enhanced if more of our candidates spoke out and made the case for America. Duncan Hunter does that. He's the only candidate that is talking consistently about China's highway robbery. He's the only one who has unquestioned pro-life credentials. Duncan Hunter served as an Army Ranger in Vietnam. There is no doubt the man is tough enough to make the tough decisions required in a time of war. Duncan Hunter. Tough under fire and proven leadership.


No comments:

Post a Comment