09 April 2010

Meth still on the rise in Washington County

At least, that’s according to Sheriff Fred Newman in today’s BHC. Relatively simple to make and highly dangerous and addictive, Newman has renewed efforts to clamp down on mobile manufacturing of the substance.

At the risk of sounding like my father, it wasn’t that long ago that the worst parents had to fear was catching their kids sneaking a sip of hooch behind the barn. Then we see the use of marijuana increase, and now meth is the drug du jour. Of course, we can’t discount the abuse of prescription pain killers either.

I ramble through that to point out that even with on going law enforcement efforts, manufacturers are becoming harder to catch. I’m glad that Sheriff Newman places such a high priority on this. Let me give you some simple statistics:

  • 26 meth labs were seized in Washington County alone in 2005
  • Approximately 80 to 90 percent of Washington County’s crime is drug related
  • We’re starting to see a large influx of meth from out of state.

They say there’s lies, danged lies, and statistics. I generally agree, but 26 meth labs in one year is a problem.

Now I know that my libertarian friends will argue with me about the use of marijuana and I respect their views, but meth isn’t marijuana and meth carries a higher danger in the production of it. I support Sheriff Newman, and I believe he is doing the best he can with the resources we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment